Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Condolences to the Riggs family

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Condolences to the Riggs family

    I heard yesterday evening that former Appalachia Coach Jim Riggs passed away.

    My condolences to the family.
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Condolences to the Riggs family

    R.I.P. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] Thank you for notifying us . . very sad to hear.

    Crazy thing is, just yesterday I was about to reply to one of Lung's posts referring to something Riggs said in a video containing one of the "round table" interviews with him, Coy Bays, and a few other sports guys talking about football in the past. And I think that was the only time I'd ever even considered posting about him.
    Officially retired

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    1,486
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Condolences to the Riggs family

    My condolences as well.

    Coach Riggs coaching career was before my time and most of the posters on here, but he did leave a legacy that has continued for many years.

    I love to hear stories about these old coaching legends and what made them great. If some of you have stories, share them with us.

    I have one. Coach Riggs grew up and went to school at the old Wise High School so he always took an interest in Kelly football, plus he had a grandson or two that played here back in the 70s and 80s. He came to a football game once in the 80s and stopped to talk to the basketball coach Dave Bentley who was standing in the endzone watching the game. He said "Coach, let me know when you have one of your practices, I'd like to come and watch. I hear that your guys hit in practice and they sure as heck don't hit in this coaches football practices. I want to see somebody hitting."

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Glory_Days's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 18th, 2003
    Posts
    963
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Condolences to the Riggs family

    I always like Coach Riggs and knew him pretty well. His grandson was one of my good friends.

    I will always remember the story of the first time he met the Stonega Stallion. Coach Riggs had a habit of greeting the incoming 8th graders as they got off the bus for the first day of school at Appalachia. When Edd Clark was getting off the bus Coach Riggs introduced himself and asked Edd if he played football. Edd replied by saying yes he played football and that he played on the offensive line. Coach Riggs replied..."Son as long as you wear an Appalachia football jersey you are going to play fullback..."
    "To be the man, you've got to beat the man."

  5. #5
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Condolences to the Riggs family

    I know the man could swing a paddle pretty damned good!! He took special pride in paddling the football players when we got out of line. And he always enjoyed selling those "belly-washers".

  6. #6
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Condolences to the Riggs family

    I think it's fascinating as well to hear about the early days of sports in our areas.

    A year or two ago, Pigskin Picks had Ralph Cummins as a guest. He talked about the days of the old District 8 before there was an LPD and some of the coaches like Riggs, Trig Dotson etc. Good stuff!


    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sportsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My condolences as well.

    Coach Riggs coaching career was before my time and most of the posters on here, but he did leave a legacy that has continued for many years.

    I love to hear stories about these old coaching legends and what made them great. If some of you have stories, share them with us.

    I have one. Coach Riggs grew up and went to school at the old Wise High School so he always took an interest in Kelly football, plus he had a grandson or two that played here back in the 70s and 80s. He came to a football game once in the 80s and stopped to talk to the basketball coach Dave Bentley who was standing in the endzone watching the game. He said "Coach, let me know when you have one of your practices, I'd like to come and watch. I hear that your guys hit in practice and they sure as heck don't hit in this coaches football practices. I want to see somebody hitting." </div></div>
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Condolences to the Riggs family

    Before something happens to some of these guys, Robbins, Shupe, Colobro, Wilson, Cummings, etc should all be at one place at one time for just stories. I'm sure those guys could tell many, it's a shame this couldn't have happened when Riggs and Turner were both living.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Condolences to the Riggs family

    They Riggs and Turner got together pretty reqularly from what I can tell. Especially in Tom's earlier years as coach. The last time I saw Coach Riggs was at I believe the Appy/Gate City ballgame about 5 years ago. Even after over 25 years at the time, he still remembered my name and was just as sharp mentally as he ever was. Had the pleasure of him coaching one year and then it was Jackie Robinette. Those two were quite a pair back then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •